The Immigrant Justice Committee’s goal is to establish the Safe Community Act (Bill S. 1401; H.3573) in Winchester.
- Create an inclusive community for immigrants in Winchester
- Develop Winchester as a model for best practices around welcoming and integrating immigrants into a suburban town
- Increase accessibility of Winchester for immigrants and those from abroad
- Promote education around immigration issues
What to do if you are approached by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Source: www.aclu.org/kyr)
- Remain silent when questioned about immigration status.
- Keep doors closed to ICE officers who show up at homes or businesses unless they have an arrest warrant.
- Contact an attorney immediately and refuse to sign any documents if detained.
Safe Communities Act remarks by realtor and Belmont activist Anne Mahon
Safe Communities Act presentation by MA ACLU attorney Laura Rotolo